You’ve selected the perfect piece of art and now you’re not exactly sure how you should display it. Don’t worry. We’ve compiled a list of our Go-To favorites along with the details you’ll need to know about framing and finishing. Plus, we’ve included a few tips and tricks we’ve learned along the way.
If your artwork is on canvas or linen, you may want to gallery wrap it. Gallery wrap is a method of stretching material so that it wraps around the sides of the stretcher bar and is secured to the back of the wooden frame. This method does not require a frame when the artwork is hung.
- GOFrame has a kit making it a great DIY solution. You can order stretcher bars in your desired length, from 4-60 inches. Watch their instruction video to learn more.
- Have your artwork stretched by a pro. Check out Wholesale Art Frames or your local frame shop.
- If you like the look of a gallery wrapped canvas with a floater frame then check out Framebridge. They will wrap and frame your art beautifully.
Traditional and Floater Frames
There are so many options out there. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Frame It Easy is an online custom picture framing solution. You can design a custom frame for your artwork — selecting from some beautiful metal and wood mouldings as well as determining matting specifications.
- ArttoFrames has a beautiful and affordable Floating Acrylic Frame. It will hold up to a 30x40 print and you have your choice of 5 finishes for the standout hardware. They also have a huge selection of traditional frames, with and without mats.
- Ship your artwork to Framebridge and they will ship it back ready to hang on your wall. Again, a decent selection of traditional frames, with and without mats.
- IKEA has a small selection of budget friendly framing options. The Ribba is a classic and well as the Hovsta. However if you are looking for fine art quality, this isn’t the right place to shop.
- Amazon has frames that I love. Check out this beautiful 3 set in modern silver. It houses a standard 8x10 print with the mat an doverall size is 16x20.
- Target’s frame selection is pretty impressive, but again just a callout that it’s not archival grade. If that’s ok with you (and in the right application it’s usually fine for a lot of us) their Project 62 collection has a number of super stylish and clean designs, including squares. The thin metal comes in the most beautiful soft shade of gold!
Wood hangers are typically less expense than traditional frames. They are sold by a number of different companies so can can pick the style best suited for your needs:
If you are looking for super casual and cost saving options, you can explore different styles of clips — from skeleton to bulldog and binder. Etsy and Amazon have tons of options to select from. Washi tape and Good Hangups magnets are also fun to explore.